Old problem with performance

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:41:23 PST 2009

Kagamin wrote:
> Daniel Keep Wrote:
>
>>> You probably don't want D, you want ATS:
>>> http://www.ats-lang.org/
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> bearophile
>> http://www.ats-lang.org/EXAMPLE/MISC/listquicksort.dats
>>
>> Dear god.  I think... I think I'm going to go cry in the corner...
>
> Is it common for functional languages to love 1-letter identifiers, I wonder?

Probably. Mathematicians use "ab" to mean "a multiplied by b", so they
tend toward single-character identifiers with subscripts. And functional
languages seem to cater more toward mathematicians.

I tend to find most examples of the remarkable efficiency of functional
languages entirely unreadable, partly because of this, and partly
because they seem fond of using many operators, some in ways that I find
bizarre.