Beginning with D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Feb 25 21:08:05 PST 2009

"Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:go520b$1o5f$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Prestidigitator wrote:
>> Is D as good at game programming as C++? Also, would it be better to use
>> 1.0 or 2.0?
>
> D is a good language, and there are people writing games with it; just
> look at Deadlock [1] or Mayhem Intergalactic [2] (the latter of which is
> on sale right now!).

Also, Torus Trooper, Tumiki Fighters and probably a few of the other games
by Kenta Cho/ABA Games were written in an early version of D (with Tumiki
Fighters being the original version of Blast Works).
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

A large part of my programming background has centered on games, and I'd say
that, for the most part, D is vastly better than C/C++ for games (In fact,
that's what originally drew me to D in the first place). The one drawback
though is that D support for consoles and other embedded systems is
practically non-existent right now (but hopefully LDC will change that).
Also, the vast majority of game middle-ware is still C/C++, so D bindings
would have to be created to use them. That could be either easy or difficult
depending on the actual lib.

Also, be wary of people on places like gamedev.net that try to immediately
dismiss D. I've read a lot of their stuff and most of the time they
demonstrate very clearly that they don't actually know anything about D, and
they'll often get their facts about D comepletely wrong, or outdated, etc.
Games have been C/C++ for a very long time, and have stayed that way (for
very good reason) even while most software has switched to other
newer/trendier languages, so it's very difficult for most of them to accept
the idea that there might actually be something better.