Beginning with D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:37:45 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Rainer Deyke <rainerd at eldwood.com> wrote:
> Prestidigitator wrote:
>> Is D as good at game programming as C++? Also, would it be better to
>> use 1.0 or 2.0?
>
> My opinion: D 1.0 is, on the whole, worse than C++.  D 2.0 is shaping up
>  to be, on the whole, better than C++.  However, D 2.0 is unstable to
> the point of being unusable at the moment.  Stick to C++ for now, but
> come back in a year or two when D 2.0 has had time to stabilize.

It really depends entirely on what you value in the language you use.
So just stating that D is worse or better than C++ without your
reasons for having reached that conclusion is really next to useless
information.

If a strong toolchain is important to you, D loses to C++.
If the ability to use some large existing C++ framework is important
to you, D loses to C++.
If having a language that's enjoyable to use with good performance is
important to you, then D wins over C++.
And so on...

There are many categories in which D is behind C++, but as far as the
core language goes, I would choose to use D1.0 over C++ any day.

--bb