Beginning with D

grauzone none at example.net
Thu Feb 26 00:53:01 PST 2009

Rainer Deyke wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> There are many categories in which D is behind C++, but as far as the
>> core language goes, I would choose to use D1.0 over C++ any day.
>
> I would not.  To this C++ programmer, using D 1.0 feels like stepping
> back from C++ to C in terms of resource management.

Going back from D to C++ also feels like stepping back, because C++
doesn't natively support garbage collection. While I admit that
reference counting is better for "heavy" resources (like file handles),
for small memory objects tracing garbage collection is actually more
efficient and less problematic. For example, reference counting can't
deal with cycles of garbage.

And what's so great about wrapping every pointer into a smartpointer?

What do C++ programmers think about the D2.0 support for stuff like
reference counting? (See
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/struct.html#StructPostblit)