foreach ... else statement

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Jan 5 02:45:38 PST 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Don:
>> Actually Walter loves goto, so DMD copes really well with it.
>
> When possible it's better to use structured programming and avoid gotos.

Structured programming does not mean no gotos. You should really read
the original paper "Goto considered harmful", you'll find it's actually
about the evil of spaghetti code, such as in BASIC. In C
family-languages, including D, there is no spaghetti goto. So actually
it's nearly impossible to abuse goto in D in the way that the original
paper was talking about.

I still avoid goto because I was told to. But eventually I realised that
it's 100% propaganda. I actually think my code would be cleaner if I
used it; it would allow lots of local flag variables to be eliminated.
But I still have this residual prejudice against 'goto' which is really
hard to get rid of.

> That construct can avoid gotos in some common situations.

> And regarding the compiler back-end, I think it's also better to start thinking what's good for LDC :-)
Yes, but I doubt any compiler would have a problem with goto.