foreach ... else statement

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 7 18:11:47 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Academic papers on compiler optimizations always start out with
>> "assume there are no pointers, no references, no arrays, no
>> exceptions, no threads, no aliasing, no overflows, no signed/unsigned,
>> there are infinite registers available, registers are orthogonal,
>> etc." Or they just go ahead and let you discover that they assumed that.
>
> Well that should be taken with the traditional grain of salt.

Some are better than others, sure. I found out the hard way. But even in
the paper cited in this thread:

"We do not deal here with alias problems caused by assignments to array
elements, to parameters passed by reference, and to variables that are
referenced via pointers. These problems can be dealt with in the same
way as described in [5]."

and this:

"This is useful for languages such as Simula[3], Modula-2 [13] or Oberon
[14] that lack goto statements at all."

Who uses Simula, Modula-2 or Oberon?