new principle of division between structures and classes

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 11 12:38:36 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Weed wrote:

>>> Oh!:) but I suspect such classes scheme somehow correspond with
>>> JIT-compilation.
>>>

>> I guess allocation in Java occurs fast because of usage of the its own
>> memory manager.
>>
>> I do not know how it is fair, but:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp09275.html
>>
>> "Pop quiz: Which language boasts faster raw allocation performance, the
>> Java language, or C/C++? The answer may surprise you -- allocation in
>> modern JVMs is far faster than the best performing malloc
>> implementations. The common code path for new Object() in HotSpot 1.4.2
>> and later is approximately 10 machine instructions (data provided by
>> Sun; see Resources), whereas the best performing malloc implementations
>> in C require on average between 60 and 100 instructions per call
>> (Detlefs, et. al.; see Resources)."
>
> Meh, that should be taken with a grain of salt. An allocator that only
> bumps a pointer will simply eat more memory and be less cache-friendly.
> Many applications aren't that thrilled with the costs of such a model.
>
> Andrei

Take it as nicely seasoned.  The current jvm gc and memory subsystem is
_extremely_ clever.  However, it completely relies on the ability to
move objects during garbage collection.  If it was purely the allocator
that behaved that way, you'd be right.  But it's interaction with the gc
is where the system comes together to form a useful whole.

Later,
Brad