Properties

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 11 20:02:55 PST 2009

"John Reimer" <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:28b70f8c119528cb42154f5d14e0 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> But, of course, adjectives (just like "direct/indirect objects") are
>> themselves nouns.
>>

> Umm... May I make a little correction here?
> Adjectives are not nouns.  They are used to /describe/ nouns.
>
> -JJR

Maybe there's examples I'm not thinking of, and I'm certainly no natural
language expert, but consider these:

"red"
"ball"
"red ball"

By themselves, "red" and "ball" are both nouns. Stick the noun "red" in
front of ball and "red" becomes an adjectve. (FWIW,
"dictionary.reference.com" lists "red" as both a noun and an adjective). The
only adjectives I can think of at the moment (in my admittedly quite tired
state) are words that are ordinarly nouns on their own.  I would think that
the distinguishing charactaristic of an adjective vs noun would be the
context in which it's used.

Maybe I am mixed up though, it's not really an area of expertise for me.