lazy thoughts

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jan 12 17:47:37 PST 2009

Bill Baxter:

> > I believe (without having measured... which means that I am essentially
> > lying) that we can safely assume the lunch will be free or low cost. The
> > copying of the underlying range should be cheap except for the shortest
> > ranges.

Using array(xmap()) in my dlibs calls the opApply of the xmap, this is measurably slower than using map(), so I keep both. I keep both also because it's handy to have both.

> Another commonly used func from Python is zip().  Not sure if that one
> is doable in D because it relies heavily on Python's tuples to work,
> but in Python it offers a very clean solution to iterating over
> several lists at once.

Take a look at azip, zip and xzip in my dlibs.

> Also I really hope we'll be seeing lazy versions of the associative
> array properties .keys and .values!

Take a look at xkeys and xvalues of my dlibs.

My interest for this community and for D is decreasing quickly.

Bye,
bearophile