lazy thoughts

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jan 13 06:03:15 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> I'll wait for bearophile to tell if he feels he
> hasn't gotten the credit he believes he deserves before I answer this
> particular point.

I'm having a bad week for matters unrelated to D. You are doing lot of work for D, so don't worry for me. I was just a bit sad seeing you inventing some things I use often and I have shown here few times.

Consider the idea of having both lazy/eager versions of your functors.

Consider the idea of having a functionality like the xchain functor and Chainable class mixin of my libs (that is lazy chaining of arbitrary iterables, eager and lazy) using ~.

I have also created various other things that you may re-invent in the following days and weeks, like the Xcast, a way to cast lazily the items of an iterable, etc.

One small but important thing I think has to be fixed in D2 is related to associative arrays in D: iteration has to happen first of all on keys. This gives big practical advantages. In my libs all functions when confronted with AAs use their keys first.

In my dlibs I have implemented several other things that I hope to see in D2, like the record/Record that is a much better Tuple, a better equality testing among arrays, testing and comparison among associative arrays, etc. I have explained such things few times, but I am willing to explain them again, if there's someone willing to listen.

Bye,
bearophile