How to size optimize the executable?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 09:18:55 PST 2009

== Quote from Claus D. Volko (cdvolko at gmx.net)'s article
> What bothers me about D is that the executables dmd generates are quite large.
Some simple programs have almost 200 kb. I've tried packing them with kkrunchy,
the result are still about 100 kb. By contrast, with Visual C++ such programs
would be only a few kbytes (in release mode). Why is D generating such big
executables? How is it possible to get them smaller?

Well, one reason is because D has a larger runtime that includes things like GC.
Theoretically, this could be made into a shared lib, but I think there are higher
priorities in the D community.