Anomaly on Wiki4D GuiLibraries page

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:08:28 PST 2009

Hello tim,

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:25:39 +1300, Stewart Gordon
> <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries
>>
>> This page gives the standard D GUI library as being DWT, which is now
>> a  "Tango based port of  SWT v3.4 GUI Library + JFace and more".
>>
>> Note "Tango based".  How can it be the standard D GUI library when it
>> isn't compatible with standard D, i.e. D with Phobos?
>>
>> Stewart.
>>
> Now that you brought the subject up I would just like to add my
> opinion on  something which I've been meaning to say for a long time.
> I really  disagree with the way that page describes the various
> options. It says  standard d gui library and other d gui libraries.
> swt has the word  standard in it's name but I dont see why dwt should
> be THE standard. It's  brainwashing people into think that dwt is the
> best thing around.

Well, the reason dwt has adopted the "standard" title kind of goes back to
the days when we were looking to have a complete GUI to promote D; there
just wasn't much offering in that area before.  DWT development was encouraged
back then by Walter, and, as you can see, he even made a newsgroup entry
for it.

DWT might not be the best thing around, but I don't think it's not going
too far to say that it is the most comprehensive GUI developed /in/ D so
far.

As time goes on, this may change (which can only be a good thing as options
improve) as more projects arrive for more platforms.

Personally, I think we're at a point in D's life where we don't need to call
it standard.  Maybe it would be better to have a newsgroup called "GUI" instead.
 I'm  not sure.

-JJR