Qt 4.5 to be LGPL

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jan 15 14:50:51 PST 2009

"BLS" <windevguy at hotmail.de> wrote in message
news:gkodf2$1aht$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:42 AM, naryl <cy at ngs.ru> wrote:

>>> There is a binding currently in development.
>>> http://code.google.com/p/qtd/
>>
>> Excellent.   I didn't know anyone was working on it.  Qt is simply the
>> best damn GUI toolkit there is.  But I wouldn't touch it with a meter
>> long chopstick when it was GPL.
>>
>> I guess the D port is going to have MOC too?
>>
>> --bb
>
> I am just curious: Why QT is such a damned cool toolkit ?
> In other words, how is it better than wxWidgets ?
>
> I've never used QT  but QT is IMO more comparable to SWING in that it
> mimics  native controls/widgets...so semi-optimal.
> ...and what the heck is MOC ?
> Bjoern
>

>From what I gather from having recently been trying to read up on Qt:

- The newer verions of Qt actually use the real native widgets, unlike older
versions of Qt.

- MOC is a preprocessor packaged with Qt. Qt uses this concept of "signals"
and "sockets", which are apperently just like using a delegate collection
(ie, like "(void delegate())[]" or C#/WinForm's event system, or something
like that). Problem is, the original version of Qt is made for C++, which
doesn't have proper delegates (at least not last I checked). So they hacked
it together using a special preprocessor for C++ code.