Qt 4.5 to be LGPL

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:00:00 PST 2009

BLS wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "BLS" <windevguy at hotmail.de> wrote in message
>> news:gkodf2$1aht$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> I am just curious: Why QT is such a damned cool toolkit ?
>>> In other words, how is it better than wxWidgets ?
>>>
>>> I've never used QT but QT is IMO more comparable to SWING in that it
>>> mimics native controls/widgets...so semi-optimal.
>>> ...and what the heck is MOC ?
>>> Bjoern
>>>

>> From what I gather from having recently been trying to read up on Qt:
>>
>> - The newer verions of Qt actually use the real native widgets, unlike
>> older versions of Qt.
>>
>> - MOC is a preprocessor packaged with Qt. Qt uses this concept of
>> "signals" and "sockets", which are apperently just like using a
>> delegate collection (ie, like "(void delegate())[]" or C#/WinForm's
>> event system, or something like that). Problem is, the original
>> version of Qt is made for C++, which doesn't have proper delegates (at
>> least not last I checked). So they hacked it together using a special
>> preprocessor for C++ code.
>>

> Phobos as well as Tango are offering support for signals and
> slots...does this mean that MOC/D is not not needed for a QtD ? Sorry
> for my ignorance, but I can't get it.
> Bjoern
>
> PS seems there is an upcoming D-preprocessor project on dsource.

two notes:
1. my personal view - assert(pre-processor is evil)
2. there's more to S&S than just an array of delegates - they are weak
refs so that destruction of an object disconnects automatically the
apropriate signals. but there is a weakref lib for D written by Bill
IIRC, that could be utilized in qtD. no pre-processor needed.