Profiler Speed

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 12:54:34 PST 2009

== Quote from BCS (none at anon.com)'s article
> Hello dsimcha,
> > I'm working on optimizing some code now, and a nagging issue that I've
> > been meaning to bring up is how slow stuff runs when profiling is
> > turned on.  It seems that, given any code that's slow enough to be
> > worth profiling/optimizing, the DMD profiler slows it down further, to
> > the point where it's impractical to profile because it would take
> > forever to get the results.  Does anyone have any tips for speeding
> > this up?
> >
> I think this is unavodable. Just let it run overnight.

One other thing I've noticed about the DMD profiler (I don't have any experience
w/ any other profilers):  After the program appears done, it sits there at high
CPU usage for a long time if it's been profiling for a while, long enough that I
often end up killing it.  Is the profiler supposed to take a while after the
program is done running to output the results?