DWT+OpenGL crashing on Vista

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:51:46 PST 2009

I'm going crazy here with a very odd bug.
My DWT+OpenGL Win32 app is crashing *only* on Vista and *only* when I
use client arrays for rendering
(i.e. glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY), glVertexPointer(...),
glArrayElement(....)).

The exact same code works fine on XP.
I have the Areo desktop compositing diabled on Vista.
The exact same code works fine if I replace the glArrayElement calls
with glVertex3fv calls.

Another weird thing is that it doesn't crash right away,   The thing
I'm drawing will draw fine for 20 or so frames, then it crashes,
usually in swapBuffers or in the glClear.after swapBuffers.
Sometimes the same program will not crash at all.

I tried modifying a DWT OpenGL snippet to use client arrays, but I
couldn't get it to crash.

I tried disabling the GC too,  no change.
A web search didn't turn up anyone else with similar problems.

I upgraded my video drivers (GeForce 8400M GS) with the latest from
NVIDIA, but still no change.

I just have no idea what else could be going wrong or what else I could try.

--bb