Anomaly on Wiki4D GuiLibraries page

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:53:01 PST 2009

Hello Stewart,

> John Reimer wrote:
> <snip>
>> Good question.  I think the new dwt release just inherited (or
>> hijacked) the title based on the release made by Shawn a couple of
>> years ago which was Phobos compatible.
>>
> So effectively, the Phobos-based DWT is what was passed off as the
> "standard D GUI library", and when the Tango-based DWT came about, it
> was erroneously labelled as the new "standard D GUI library".  Really,
> while Tango DWT may have superseded Phobos DWT as being the DWT that's
> still actively maintained, Phobos DWT remains the SDGL.

Yes, I'm afraid that about sums it up... yet, if I may add, with Walter's
knowledge; so I think you jumped the gun by not consulting him first.  But
I'm hoping, at the very least, that this discussion will remove any inhibitions
that Walter may have in making a statement on the matter.  I honestly don't
feel comfortable forcing a Tango-based library on Walter and having it capture
the "standard" title. I agree that isn't fair, so I actually appreciate that
the matter came up.

>> I suppose it would be fair to fix this on the wiki.  But, that said,
>> Walter hasn't said otherwise yet. :)
>>
> Done....

You moved too fast for two reasons:

1)  The old dwt is basically abandoned.  You put it up at the top.  Don't
you think you should put it under the abandoned group instead?
2)  You don't have enough information to go on to make that change, unless
you have dicussed this with Walter.  Maybe he doesn't want to recognize the
old DWT as "standard" anymore, if it isn't actively developed.  Maybe neither
library is "standard".

Based on that, your decisive move on the matter tends to look more hostile
than helpful.

-JJR