Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sun Jan 18 08:14:38 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>>> For example, I'm not sure how code in std.algorithm could help
>>> containers or streams in Tango (as it should), or how to reconcile
>>> std.algorithm with std.core.array.
>>
>> If the language (D2++) will have a new way of iteration and ranges
>> known and enforced by the compiler, then I expect Tango to support
>> those at some point, and std.algorithm would presumably just work.
>> However, if it is based on some interface, ad hoc (these methods must
>> be present) or properly via an interface Range { }, I would expect
>> Tango developers to be involved in the process of defining those
>> interfaces (if Tango is meant to use/know about them). Since I have
>> seen neither, it is somewhat difficult to make a well informed
>> comment on the subject.
>
> It's been there for a while now (since 25 Nov 2008).
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/statement.html#ForeachStatement
>
> Scroll down to "Foreach over Structs and Classes with Ranges". The
> changelog reflects that too:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
>
> Version 2.021 mentions "Added range support to foreach statement."

Ah, thanks :)

However, replacing the "single" opApply with 5 properties seems somewhat excessive? At least it becomes even more obvious that a form of (runtime queryable) struct interfaces will be necessary - the one and only feature I really really want in D2.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net