Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 10:00:08 PST 2009

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s article
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> > Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >
> >> For example, I'm not sure how code in std.algorithm could help
> >> containers or streams in Tango (as it should), or how to reconcile
> >> std.algorithm with std.core.array.
> >
> > If the language (D2++) will have a new way of iteration and ranges
> > known and enforced by the compiler, then I expect Tango to support
> > those at some point, and std.algorithm would presumably just work.
> > However, if it is based on some interface, ad hoc (these methods must
> > be present) or properly via an interface Range { }, I would expect
> > Tango developers to be involved in the process of defining those
> > interfaces (if Tango is meant to use/know about them). Since I have
> > seen neither, it is somewhat difficult to make a well informed
> > comment on the subject.
> It's been there for a while now (since 25 Nov 2008).
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/statement.html#ForeachStatement
> Scroll down to "Foreach over Structs and Classes with Ranges". The
> changelog reflects that too:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
> Version 2.021 mentions "Added range support to foreach statement."
> Andrei

Nice.  Glad to see that this is documented somewhere so I can start playing with
it.  One thing, though:  In my dstats library, I have a custom hash table
implementation that's used very heavily in my information theory module.  (I have
my reasons for using a custom hash table instead of the builtin, but they're
beyond the scope of this post.)  Right now, the hash table uses opApply.  Now that
I realize how horribly slow opApply is, I'd like to port this to ranges.  However,
I need to be able to iterate over either key, value pairs or just values.  Is
there any way to make this work with ranges?