Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 12:49:39 PST 2009

== Quote from Don (nospam at nospam.com)'s article

> <small rant>
> I completely disagree. I think the two libraries is a disaster. I can
> see that so many people have been exposed to a lifetime of propaganda
> that "competition is a good thing", but it's just propaganda.
> Competition inevitably means wasted effort, and it's obvious in D.
> </small rant>

On a purely philosopical note, yes, cooperation is better than competition *if*
there's enough of a consensus among the parties involved as to how things should
be run.  However, this is a *BIG* if.  The problem with ideologies that are
strongly against competition is that this is very seldom true in the real world.
(Phobos vs. Tango is one example)  In these cases, where there is simply no
consensus, the only realistic alternative to competition is to have winners and
losers picked in a dictatorial fashion by some form of authority.  Yes, this
authority could be selected democratically by voting, but tyranny of the majority
is still tyranny.  In the case of Phobos vs. Tango, Walter could hypothetically
just try his absolute hardest to kill off Tango, in the name of preventing
competition, but I'm sure noone wants that.  Therefore, where no true consensus
exists or ever realistically will exist, competition is often a lesser evil than
having a winner arbitrarily picked by some form of authority.