Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:29:07 PST 2009

Hello Andrei,

> IUnknown wrote:
>
>> This is why I request you to consult other independent people and see
>> what their take on it is. From a library developer's perspective you
>> would invariably pit the decision against the difficulty in doing it.
>> Hence my suggestion to find out what users would really need and then
>> try to implement it.
>>
> This I completely disagree with. 360 degrees :o). Good stuff comes
> from good vision, not from doing what people think they want (see PHP,
> American cars, and taking dating advice from female friends). I won't
> continue this because it will go the way philosophical debates usually
> go => a long exchange of long messages leading to nowhere in
> particular.
>
> Andrei

Oversimplification.  Good stuff does not always come from good vision if
it is poorly managed.

IUnknown had a fair point that you had the option of taking or leaving.
The suggestion was to look for advice for a problem to which you admitted
having no solution.

Obviously, you needn't take the advice.  But reinterpreting his statement
to a form that is absurd is not fair.  You could have just as easily interpreted
him as saying, "look over some historical examples and see if there are similar
solutions to this problem from another's perspective".

The philosophical debate is completely optional.   On the other hand, a practical
one is always available. :-D

-JJR