DWT+OpenGL crashing on Vista [OT]

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:41:28 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Sergey Kovrov
<kovrov+digitalmars at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/2009 12:17 AM, Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Here's a modified version of one of the DWT opengl snippets that
>> reproduces the crash for me.
>> About 1 in 10-15 runs this will crash (seems to be inside the GL
>> driver) soon after startup with the error:
>>
>> """
>> dwt.DWTException.DWTException: Failed to execute runnable
>>
>> object.Exception: Access Violation
>> """
>>
>> Can anyone else reproduce this (particularly Vista users)?
>> I'd be happy to send the exe to anyone who would like to try it off
>> list.  But it's a 3MB exe  (compresses to about .7 MB).
>
> I see nothing wrong with OpenGL part of the code.
> Have you tried to run it under ddbg? Stack trace might help in identifying issue.

Stack trace ends in nvoglnt.dll.  That's why I said the crash appears
to be in the GL driver.

I just tried it on my XP system here at work and it doesn't crash.
In my other program I tended to see the crash happen on the call to
swapBuffers, or on the first GL call after the swapBuffers.  My guess
would be it's happening the same place in this program.

The crashing system is DELL XPS M1330 laptop w/ GeForce 8400M GS,
Intel Core Duo and Vista

Non-crashing system is DELL precision workstation w/ GeForce 7800 GTX,
Dual Intel Xeons, and XP

> Off topic - I wonder why executable could be so big? (Forgive my ignorance I
> am not either Tango/DWT/Derelict user)

I dunno, but it's a frequent complaint.  Maybe the linker just isn't
very good at throwing away unneeded code?

--bb