Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:18:03 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:

> Druntime is there, and it's up to the Tango team now.

As I understand it, the biggest fear of the Tango team is to make an official D2 version and then have to chase after a moving standard.  If an official port of Tango 0.99.7 was ported to work with dmd v2.023 how willing would you be to ensure that the D2 Tango was functional prior to new releases of dmd?  I don't necessarily mean that you personally hack at Tango D2 for every release with breaking changes but rather that you have people lined up to compile and run unit tests, and fix problems prior to each release?

If the answer to that is yes, I'd be happy to sign up as a tester/fixer.  I can guarantee that I won't be able to do a large number of fixes before a release, but would be able to do some.  For most releases, that may be enough.  For big breaking changes, we'd need several tester/fixer people.  I also can't do a D2 + druntime port.  I think there's already a pre-druntime port of Tango to D2.  I doubt I could do that job, and won't sign up for it.  I also won't sign up for porting new Tango functionality to D2 either.

Even with all of these restrictions, I believe that this could work for the next year or two while D2 solidifies its design.  I'd absolutely love to see this, which is why I'm willing to help maintain it.  Maybe there will be other inspired individuals who would do the initial Tango D2 port and others who may periodically update D2 Tango to match the latest and greatest Tango D1 release.