Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 11:42:14 PST 2009

"Jason House" wrote
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Druntime is there, and it's up to the Tango team now.
>
> As I understand it, the biggest fear of the Tango team is to make an
> official D2 version and then have to chase after a moving standard.  If an
> official port of Tango 0.99.7 was ported to work with dmd v2.023 how
> willing would you be to ensure that the D2 Tango was functional prior to
> new releases of dmd?  I don't necessarily mean that you personally hack at
> Tango D2 for every release with breaking changes but rather that you have
> people lined up to compile and run unit tests, and fix problems prior to
> each release?

As far as I know, Walter has stated that he is willing to issue a quick fix
release for easily fixed bugs that hurt Tango.  This already happens with
the D1 releases, and I'm sure he'd extend that courtesy for D2 releases once
Tango D2 is relatively stable.  I agree with Walter that the ball is fully
in Tango's court.

D2 not being stable is probably the largest reason that most of the Tango
devs aren't yet interested, but it doesn't stop some of us from trying :)
Probably the largest hurdle right now is const-ifying all of Tango.  Most of
the time, this doesn't just imply slapping a const or immutable label on
something, but really rethinking how a particular module is implemented to
cater to const properly.  Thankfully, however, const is now a stable target.
Once pure/shared/unshared gets introduced, it will probably require more
effort, but probably not as much as with const.

> If the answer to that is yes, I'd be happy to sign up as a tester/fixer.
> I can guarantee that I won't be able to do a large number of fixes before
> a release, but would be able to do some.  For most releases, that may be
> enough.  For big breaking changes, we'd need several tester/fixer people.
> I also can't do a D2 + druntime port.  I think there's already a
> pre-druntime port of Tango to D2.  I doubt I could do that job, and won't
> sign up for it.  I also won't sign up for porting new Tango functionality
> to D2 either.
>
> Even with all of these restrictions, I believe that this could work for
> the next year or two while D2 solidifies its design.  I'd absolutely love
> to see this, which is why I'm willing to help maintain it.  Maybe there
> will be other inspired individuals who would do the initial Tango D2 port
> and others who may periodically update D2 Tango to match the latest and
> greatest Tango D1 release.

It's already being worked on, albeit slowly...  Need more free time :)  Any
help is appreciated.  My motivation for doing the port is to ensure D2's
design is tested fully, as I believe many of the features aren't completely
tested with Phobos alone.  I've already found several D2 bugs just by
porting some of Tango.  My biggest fear is that D2 is released with some
design decision that makes Tango impossible to port.

-Steve