Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 19 23:26:30 PST 2009

Jason House wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Druntime is there, and it's up to the Tango team now.
>
> As I understand it, the biggest fear of the Tango team is to make an
> official D2 version and then have to chase after a moving standard.
> If an official port of Tango 0.99.7 was ported to work with dmd
> v2.023 how willing would you be to ensure that the D2 Tango was
> functional prior to new releases of dmd?  I don't necessarily mean
> that you personally hack at Tango D2 for every release with breaking
> changes but rather that you have people lined up to compile and run
> unit tests, and fix problems prior to each release?

Prior to a release, I send it around to a few people who build and check
Tango and a couple other things against it.

> If the answer to that is yes, I'd be happy to sign up as a
> tester/fixer.  I can guarantee that I won't be able to do a large
> number of fixes before a release, but would be able to do some.  For
> most releases, that may be enough.  For big breaking changes, we'd
> need several tester/fixer people.  I also can't do a D2 + druntime
> port.  I think there's already a pre-druntime port of Tango to D2.  I
> doubt I could do that job, and won't sign up for it.  I also won't
> sign up for porting new Tango functionality to D2 either.
>
> Even with all of these restrictions, I believe that this could work
> for the next year or two while D2 solidifies its design.  I'd
> absolutely love to see this, which is why I'm willing to help
> maintain it.  Maybe there will be other inspired individuals who
> would do the initial Tango D2 port and others who may periodically
> update D2 Tango to match the latest and greatest Tango D1 release.

I (and others) keep Phobos2 up to date with every iteration of D2. It
hasn't been much work, primarily because I avoid making changes in D2
that will silently break code. So when things break, they break noisily
<g> and are easy to fix.

Also contributing to the ease of keeping it up to date is a good set of
unittests, although they could be better still. Even the simplest of
unit tests save boatloads of grief down the line. I've got plenty of
experience with them now <g>.

I'm sure the Tango team will welcome your help!