Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Jan 20 09:59:24 PST 2009

== Quote from Steven Schveighoffer (schveiguy at yahoo.com)'s article
> "Sean Kelly" wrote
> > Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >> "Don" wrote

> >> I'm not a lawyer, but I think that the artistic license requires source
> >> redistribution (I agree the license is difficult to comprehend), whereas
> >> the BSD style license requires attribution with binaries.  So either way,
> >> you must provide attribution.  Some companies may frown upon that,
> >> especially when we're talking about a standard library.
> >
> > I've read the BSD license very carefully and I think it only requires
> > attribution with binary distributions of the library, not apps written
> > with the library.  If I'm wrong I'd love to know, because druntime is
> > currently BSD licensed (something I've been meaning to reconsider).
> As D currently is statically linked, any application is a binary
> distribution of the library.  However, even with shared libraries, I believe
> it is still considered a binary distribution if your application uses the
> library (as your code needs the dynamic library to run).  This is why the
> LGPL exists.  I don't know if there is an equivalent BSD version.
> Again, not a lawyer :)

You don't need to be :-).  People's perception of a license is as important
as what it means in fact.  None of this is an issue for the DMD distribution
because I've granted Walter permission to distribute druntime under the
Phobos license, but it's something I want to take care of regardless.  I
may just make the darn thing public domain to save myself the hassle
of finding a license everyone is happy with.

Sean