Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jan 21 07:07:47 PST 2009

Don wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> IUnknown wrote:
>>> Regarding Phobos + Tango, the minimum I expect is things like
>>> containers, algorithm and common math stuff to be in one core module.
>>
>> This is already bound to be an issue because there is disagreement on
>> how e.g. containers should look like (Java-style vs. STL-style). Which
>> should be chosen? This naturally influences how algorithms are defined.
>>

>> Andrei
>

> The analogy with KDE vs Gnome doesn't seem valid to me -- most libraries
> will work regardless of which GUI library is chosen. Programmers can
> still rely on the Posix and C standard libraries.

I agree.

> Can we work out the math stuff at least? There's no difference between
> Phobos and Tango there. All we need is an agreement on common module
> naming (eg, create core.math).

That would be great. I don't think that's a major issue anyway. If I
were you, to be compatible with today's state of affairs, I'd simply put
in the makefile the code necessary for switching the module prefixes.

> By the way, Andrei, this is exactly the kind of attitude which I was
> ranting about. There are clear areas of duplicated code (fortunately
> much of it is in druntime now), and even Tango's containers still seem
> to be in a state of flux (the old container library is deprecated, and
> very little of Tango is currently using containers).
> Everyone -- can we be productive instead of dismissive, please?

I think you're reading significantly more into what I wrote than I meant
to put in.

Andrei