Any chance to call Tango as Extended Standard Library

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jan 22 06:11:56 PST 2009

Don wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> The analogy with KDE vs Gnome doesn't seem valid to me -- most
>>> libraries will work regardless of which GUI library is chosen.
>>> Programmers can still rely on the Posix and C standard libraries.
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>>> Can we work out the math stuff at least? There's no difference
>>> between Phobos and Tango there. All we need is an agreement on common
>>> module naming (eg, create core.math).
>>
>> That would be great. I don't think that's a major issue anyway. If I
>> were you, to be compatible with today's state of affairs, I'd simply
>> put in the makefile the code necessary for switching the module prefixes.
>
> It means that any code which uses a library based on both Tango and a
> library based on Phobos will end up with two copies of all of the
> functions, and they'll have different name mangling etc. You end up with
> two incompatible Bigints, for example, even though they have identical
> code inside.

Oh, I see. You want your library to be usable whether the end user
prefers Phobos or Tango. But then why not stick it into a namespace of
your choosing? Let's say your libraries are general enough to warrant
putting them in a common core, but then anyone who defines some library
don't have to go to the "core ombudsman" to add it to the common
namespace. They'd just create unique namespaces of their own. No?

Andrei