Glibc hell

Spacen Jasset spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 10:24:28 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Spacen Jasset wrote:
>> For us Linux DMD users a bug should be raised against dmd so that
>> Walter will hopefully compile against an older glibc on future releases.
>
> Yet when I do that the other half of the linux users have a problem.

Do you know what problems they had Walter, I think this problem should
be able to be ironed out somehow.

I believe that is is ok to statically link with the c++ libraries* and
we do this at our workplace, otherwise the target users also have to
have the correct c++ libraries installed.

The link flags I use for our builds are like this:

LINK_FLAGS=-Wl,-Bstatic,-lstdc++,-Bdynamic -static-libgcc

and are passed to gcc for the linking phase.

Would it be possible for you to generate a version of DMD built in this
way for testing as well as how you do it currently?

If you have already done this and found no way to make it work then
perhaps it's not worthwhile, but this really should work on Linux.

* - you don't get the "benefit" of bug fixes via the dynamic library
updates.