Please vote once and for good: range operations

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Jan 29 01:46:41 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> It looks like there is endless debate on the naming convention for the
> range operations.

head/toe > front/back >> all the other suggestions >> car.

FWIW, I'd say start and end is the only pairing which is natural for
English speakers. Once you reject them, I think you've committed to a
pairing which is going to sound peculiar part of the time.

English idiom is interesting -- we talk about the "head of the queue"
but never the "tail of the queue", rather the "end of the queue".

"start/end of the queue", "start/end of the list", "start/end of the
range" (though "beginning" is more natural than start).
"head/end of the queue", "head/end of the list"
"front/back of the queue" (doesn't work for lists. Only solid objects
have a front and a back).