Please vote once and for good: range operations

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:13:57 PST 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Daniel Keep" wrote
>> Ideally, I'd like to change all the names for the interface to be:
>>
>>  front -- first element in the range
>>  back -- last element in the range
>>  advanceFront  -- advance the front element by one
>>  retreatBack   -- retreat the back element by one
>>
>> And, tempting fate...
>>
>>  nonEmpty -- as Walter one espoused: negative = bad, positive = good :D
>
> That has a negative term right in it "non".  Why do people consider empty to
> be negative?  It's actually zero :P
>
> -Steve

Well, if someone were to call you "empty-headed" in an outrageous French
accent, you wouldn't be too happy about that, would you? :D

The only positive form of "empty" I can think of is "empty pit of
snakes," much preferable to any alternatives.

As it stands, I really wish I'd taken the time to think of a better
phrase than "nonEmpty."

  -- Daniel