Scientific computing with D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:47:27 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Chad J
<gamerchad at __spam.is.bad__gmail.com> wrote:

> Now these are some things I have not run across.  I did not know about
> the open Mesa implementation of GLU Tess.  I may just fall back on that
> or Thatcher's code once I've had my fun.

> I'm also shooting for very minimal dependencies, so I'd like to avoid
> linking against GLU, even if avoiding it is kinda silly.  Being able to
> just port the open code to D would be nice.  I think so far my renderer
> only requires Tango (for XML parsing and some odds and ends) and OpenGL
> (the whole point).

Yeh, using GLU tess from the GLU lib is better than nothing (and
probably better than rolling your own) if you don't have time to do
better.   But from what I understand, while the algorithms in GLU Tess
are quite good and solid the C interface is just horrid requiring lots
of extra unnecessary internal allocations and such.   Someone in that
GDalgorithms conversation said they had ripped out the the Mesa GLU
code, put a C++ interface on it, eliminated excess allocations, and
used an efficient pool allocator for the rest.  After that they said
it performed pretty well.  But it was for a company so unfortunately
he couldn't share the code.

I started looking in to doing that myself, but I ended up just using
Shewchuck's Triangle library for the time being.  I don't have a
stringent time requirement on my triangulations.  Anything under
half-a-sec or so is ok for me.

--bb