D versus Objective C Comparison

Chris R Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:04:19 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Chris R Miller wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for doing this, it's a nice comparison. But one error is that
>>> there is a dmd for Linux, and it's as fully supported and capable as
>>> the windows one. I use it all the time on Ubuntu.
>>
>> Hmm, I didn't think that I was implying that it wasn't supported, but
>> I have never gotten it to work satisfactorily on Linux with my usual
>> entourage of libraries, so I just try and ignore it as me "not doing
>> it right" again.
>>
>> I have clarified that part though, as after re-reading it I see how it
>> could be taken the wrong way.
>
> Thanks. But what is the issue you're running into with the Linux dmd?

Primarily that it's difficult (for me) to figure out how to get Tango
and DSSS working with it.

The compiler is only part of the story - in your defense, I got the
//compiler// working just fine.  It was my aforementioned entourage of
libraries that stopped the party.  If I remember correctly the
showstopper was DWT.  It was Linux 64, and DWT (at least at that point
in time) wasn't yet 64-bit compatible.  So it didn't work.