D versus Objective C Comparison

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jan 31 17:52:36 PST 2009

On 2009-01-31 17:03:10 -0500, Chris R Miller
<lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> said:

> Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2009-01-31 15:39:17 -0500, Chris R Miller
>> <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Anyways, I decided to write up a comparison of the two languages from a
>>> less technical, more deployment oriented standpoint.  IOW, examining
>>> how well they perform for the last mile of development: deploying
>>> software.
>>
>> You talk about IDEs in there, and praise Xcode. Do you know about D for Xcode?
>> <http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/>
>
> I never got that working with Xcode 3.0, so I decided to ignore it.

That's sad. There was a time where it didn't work with Xcode 3, but
I've fixed that. If you still wish it to work, please test with the
latest verision and send me be a bug report if you still have problems.
I'm still fixing bugs when I know it c

>> Unfortunately, these two projects aren't getting much attention these
>> days, mostly because I can't do much with the current state of the one
>> D compiler that runs on my PowerPC iBook.
>
> Hm, that'd certainly be an impediment to continuing work with D.

Indeed.

>> One area I think Objective-C to be very great and that you haven't
>> touched is for creating stable APIs. In Objective-C, contrary to D and
>> C++, you don't have to recompile every dependency when reordering,
>> adding and removing member functions in a class. In 64-bit Objective-C
>> 2.0, you can even add variables to a class without care about
>> recompiling derived classes. Compare that to D, where exposing a class
>> as a public API will either force you to not change much that class, or
>> force your users to recompile every time you make such a change.
>
> Hm, I didn't know that.  I'm not sure it is exactly pertinent to the
> main focus, which is towards quickly building software which can then
> be deployed to a user base relatively quickly and easily.  I just
> glossed over some language features to give a small peek at the
> language's killer features according to me.  D's most cool trick is the
> ability to implement the functionality of many data structures through
> use of its array syntax, and Objective-C is cool 'cause it's C with
> objects, sans all the crazy complexity that you run into with C++.

No indeed. I was just mentionning something I admire very much about
Objective-C which makes it very good to build stable yet evolving APIs.
Something which neither C++ nor D has.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com