Give me a break

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Wed Jul 1 01:14:16 PDT 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> == Quote from Tom S (h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl)'s article
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> == Quote from Tom S (h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl)'s article

>>> No one has tried to contact me.  I talked with Fawzi a bit shortly after
>>> Druntime was created, but that's it.  I'm too busy to even do the things
>>> I have planned for Druntime anyway, so I'm not about to chase people
>>> down to try add yet more tasks to my list.
>> Here I've based my words on a chat with Lars, but it might be that you
>> being so busy was misinterpreted as not willing to communicate and
>> "acting a bit weird". It might be hard to get it out of him now, as he
>> seems to have given up on NG discussions :(
>
> For a while, there was an attempt among the Tango folks to make me an
> ambassador of sorts to Walter and Andrei.  I never really understood the
> need for this, and I suggested that whoever wanted to contact whoever
> else simply do so.  Near as I can tell, this made me appear divisive to
> some.  More to the point, when I was working on Tango I acted upon
> my own best judgment and was trusted to do so by those involved.  This
> changed as soon as talk of collaboration began, and the Tango folks
> suggested repeatedly that there must be some sort of group consensus
> before I made any functional runtime change.  There's more, but it's all
> in the same vein.
>
> To be quite frank, I would walk away from D entirely before I'd let myself
> be put in such a position, and were it not for the fact that I was the only
> person with the ability to resolve some of the issues involved in the
> collaboration discussions, I'd have walked away right then because of the
> pressure the Tango team was putting on me.  If this has earned me a bad
> reputation in some circles, so be it.  I continue to consider Tango support
> when making changes to Druntime, and if the Tango team doesn't intend
> to use Druntime that's really their problem at this point.
>
> I normally wouldn't air such dirty laundry in public, but this thread shows
> that there's still a lot of confusion about where things stand concerning
> Druntime and Tango, and so I think it may help to at least outline my
> perspective on the issue.  My sincerest hope is that people will let this
> go, and focus their energies on something more productive.

Thank you, Sean! Seeing the larger picture now, I'm with you on it. I'd
probably rather slit my wrists than be a proxy server / ambassador of
this kind. We're in it for the code, not flame wars, after all. I also
hope we can forget the quibbles and focus on helping D instead :)
I'm glad you're still with us!

--
Tomasz Stachowiak
http://h3.team0xf.com/