Give me a break

yigal chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 04:54:31 PDT 2009

Lars T. Kyllingstad Wrote:

> yigal chripun wrote:
> > Either you need to have a plan or you need to have a community driven process (Java JSRs, Python PEPs).
>
> There is a similar option for D, although it doesn't have a fancy
> abbreviation: You can put enhancement requests in Bugzilla and get
> people to vote for them.
>
> -Lars

you must be kidding right?
maybe the situation is improving lately but not that long ago I remember posts by downs where he pointed out an old bug in DMD with a patch to fix that bug already in Bugzilla and that fix was in bugzila several *years* without anyone caring.

there is no reviewing mechanism in place - so if Walter has no time to review patches they will not be incorporated. There is no planning regarding timeing and mile stones, nowhere can you find out what will be implemented when and by whom, nowhere can you see the test plan, the review plan, etc.

compare a very successful project like firefox where everything is planned ahead and timed (what feature will be in what release and so forth) with Debian where if they're lucky they have two releases in a decade and even Debian with the faumous "we will release when the software is ready" has a release plan!

for D this means that the released compiler can have blocking bugs for major D libraries (tango, dwt, etc..) . that means, no one knows ahead of time what language features a release will contain and how will that affect the code. sometimes even *after* the release you don't know that since sometimes walter forgets to mention some new feature he implemented.

there are free tools available for all of that and nothing has to be done manually, no matter how high your requirments are. Google for example has a review system for its Android code base.