Give me a break

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 15:33:50 PDT 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jason House wrote:
> > Walter Bright Wrote:
> >
> >> My general experience with posted compiler patches is about half of them
> >> are good, the other half are incorrect and require more
> >
> > for the bad half, do you comment in the bug reports about why you think the patches are bad?
If you closed every bug promptly, we probably wouldn't care. Bugs that are not closed can be for many reasons... You could be too busy, the patch requires too much time to fix, you don't understand the bug, you disagree with the bug, you forgot about the bug, you never read the bug report, etc...

Silence is frequently mistaken for apathy. Responses to bug reports generate a lot of good will and encourages further help from the community. Bugs open for years with no comments have the opposite effect...