[OT] Shell scripting compatibility

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jul 4 21:36:34 PDT 2009

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.5.1246741099.14071.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 04:50:22PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Can /bin/bash safely be expected to exist on all non-Windows systems that
>> can compile D? Or is there something better for that? Any common
>> cross-platform-scripting gotcha's to be aware of?
>
> I know on FreeBSD it is often in /usr/local/bin/bash (if it is installed
> at
> all), so you can't really rely on it being at /bin/bash.
>
> I don't really have a solution to cover the differences though. I guess
> you could write simple, minimal scripts and just use /bin/sh for best
> cross platform luck.

That may work just fine in my case. I'm just using a batch-file (win) and a
shell script (non-win) to launch rebuild to compile the real cross-platform,
umm "script", that's written in D. And even then, only for the cases where
the included precompiled versions are insufficient, such as on a non-x86 or
a mac (my only mac isn't current anymore. and it's completely dead.). So it
is fairly trivial script.

So sh is typically in that location then? I know Unix doesn't really have a
way (at least to my knowledge) to handle a script needing a particular
interpreter that could be in different places on different machines without
requiring the user to make a symlink or something. But I don't really need
perfect. Good enough is good enough here :)