Case Range Statement ..

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Jul 7 12:39:08 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Rainer Deyke wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Now there are several problems with this. All of the following compile:
>>
>> Possible solution: treat all sequences as dots as part of the same
>> token, always.
>>
>>> 0.....wyda
>>> 0....wyda
>>> 0.... wyda
>>> 0... .wyda
>>> 0.. .wyda
>>> 0. ....wyda
>>
>> All rejected by the lexer.
>
> No. Actually, some, yes :o).

I think he meant those /could/ be made to be rejected by the lexer. At
least rejecting more than three consecutive dots leaves you with:

0... .wyda
0.. .wyda

which are ok. Also "0." and the like should be rejected.

>>> 0. .. .wyda
>>> 0. ...wyda
>>
>> Legal and unambiguous.
>
> And throroughly confusing, which was my point.

The ".name" syntax and the "number." are the things that are confusing,
not the inclusive/exclusive ranges.