Number literals (Was: Re: Case Range Statement ..)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 7 17:08:55 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky:
> why in the world is anyone defending the continued existance of "5." and ".5"?<

I'm for disallowing them; 5.0 ad 0.5 are better.
Anyone else pro/against this idea?

Regarding number literals, I'm also for:
B) turning the current octal syntax into a syntax error and introducing a safer octal syntax (see Python 3);
C) adding unbounded integral literals for multi-precisions integral numbers (to be used by bigintegers implemented in the std lib or other D code). (This is to teach D another bit of fishing, using Andrei metaphor).

Bye,
bearophile