Number literals (Was: Re: Case Range Statement ..)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 7 22:54:18 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> So ...
> Octal literals are so common that we need compiler/language support.
> Character ranges are so rare that we do not need compiler/language support.
> Compatibility with C is paramount, except when it's not.
> Technical merit trumps human interface.

If you're looking for absolutes in any useful engineering design, you
won't find them.

You might be interested in this paper:

A. R. Koenig and B. Stroustrup: As Close as Possible to C - but no
Closer. The C++ Report. Vol 1 No 7 July 1989. Also, AT&T C++ Translator
Release Notes, February 1990.

> I think that I'm not ready for the D programming language after all. I'll
> drop by the sandbox from time to time out of curiosity, I suppose. Good
> luck and thanks for all the fish.

You'll be welcome back anytime you want!