Number literals (Was: Re: Case Range Statement ..)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 7 23:13:33 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:

>>> What would you sell it outright for? As in I would own it and have
>>> every right I would have if I was the original author.
>>>
>> As a non-exclusive license, probably $500.
>
> Not a license, *own*. As in I *own* my hat. (ignoring the question of
> would you still own your copy)

You can't have two people own the same copyright. One owns the
copyright, and the other has a non-exclusive license to do whatever he
wants with it. The other has effective ownership, but it's done as a
license.

I'm not going to transfer the copyright, because then what am I going to
put in the D compiler?

> But that's really beside the point. I could come up with several
> somewhat reasonable reasons why "just use my code" isn't a good answer
> to having gotcha in the lexical spec. If you really want to go that way,
> then the lexical spec should officially BE the lexer source code.

I don't see where the "gotcha" is. It's not trivial, but it's
specifiable, and the code implementing it is there and is correct.