new DIP1: DIP Template

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:31:16 PDT 2009

Lars T. Kyllingstad, el  8 de julio a las 11:44 me escribiste:
> I think this is a good idea. :) Regarding the template, I think there should be
> one more section, called "Description". Then each DIP would be organised as
> follows:
>
> Abstract:
>     Short summary of description, rationale and usage.
>     Detailed description of proposal.
> Rationale:
>     Explanation of why proposal has been made, why the new feature
>     should be included.
> Usage:
>     Examples, etc.

Yes, it's unclear from the text in the current DIP but the idea is that
a DIP can have as many sections are needed, but Description probably will
be in every DIP so it will be a good idea to add it.

I'll add the Description section and clarify that DIP can add new sections
as needed.

> Also, each DIP should have a "Status/comments" section at the bottom
> where Walter & co. can say whether the proposal needs more
> specification, better description, etc.

I think this can be in the NG discussion. There is already a "Status"
field/metadata. The possible statuses are not defined yet but I think that
we can use PEP statuses:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-work-flow

We can add an "Incomplete state" maybe, but I think a DIP in the Draft
status is implicitly incomplete.

I will link this discussion to the DIP1 =)