new DIP1: DIP Template

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:13:08 PDT 2009

Paul D. Anderson, el  8 de julio a las 14:04 me escribiste:
> > About the order, I prefer the description first but I can live with the
> > usage first. But I think the rationale should be just after the abstract.
> > I think the order should be:
> >

> <snip/>
>
> I hope we can avoid format wars -- surely we're flexible enough to
> evaluate DIPs without insisting on a particular order of presentation.
> Different proposals may benefit from different presentations. The
> template is a great starting point.

Absolutely. I think DIP format should be flexible.

> (I know the posters in this thread aren't insisting on a particular
> order, just tossing out ideas.)
>
> I think one of the strengths of creating DIPs is to keep track of
> proposals -- both to keep us from re-inventing the wheel and to keep
> good ideas from getting lost in the NG. Some ideas that seem trivial
> generate a lot of posts and occasionally descend into flame wars, while
> other, meatier proposals languish just because no one responds.
>
> I would suggest that the proposer also include, if applicable, which
> language version (or which component or library, etc.) their proposal
> would affect, and whether it is a breaking change.

Yes, that's important information too. I might add some of this
suggestions to the template. Do you think any of this should be present in
the metadata? I think maybe the target version of the language, but since
D1 is not allowed to evolve, I think the target version of the language
will always be the one in development, so I'm not sure about the utility
of that (considering that the information on in what version the DIP was
implemented will be present for Accepted DIPs).

> The Java Community Process (which is very formal and glacially slow)
> uses a question based format that may be helpful here too. (I mean the
> list of questions -- not that we should use questions.)  One of their
> questions is "Why isn't this need met by existing specifications?".
> Proposers might consider this -- it could separate the bicycle shed
> ideas from more fundamental ones.

I think that's what the Rationale is for.