Can we fix reverse operator overloading (opSub_r et. al.)?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Jul 10 00:28:07 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> This also reminds me that the entire operator overloading feature
>>> must be thrown away and redesigned.
>>
>> :-(
>
> It's run its course like an old BMW. We need to do new things, and
> bolting them on what we have won't work.
>
> Andrei

Indeed, I even think that the concept of operator overloading is wrong.
In C++, operator overloading was just for syntax sugar. That's wrong:
pretty much everything that you want overloaded operators for, is
performance-critical. And that implies you need to deal on the level of
complete expressions, not individual operations.

Despite that, I'd still like to see this patch (or something like it)
especially in DMD1 so that we can have a _reasonable_ syntax ASAP.