new DIP1: DIP Template

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:08:16 PDT 2009

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:22:28 +1000, Daniel Keep wrote:

> Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> (stuff)
>
> I'm beginning to get the sense that this isn't really appropriate for
> the Wiki.  Maybe once we've got the design nailed down, we should look
> at putting them up somewhere where all this organisation can be
> automated.  I've had some experience with Google App Engine which might
> work...

I think the idea is to get the design nailed down and a process for using
it. I don't know what the Google App Engine does, but the best example I
like was the TIP

http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiprender/

If that was hosted on dsource it probably would be ok. I think the wiki
folders kind of give us the automation we need, not very pretty though.

> Incidentally, what is the process for creating a new DIP?  I think there
> needs to be at least some level of editorial control, otherwise we'll
> end up with a million "indexing should start from 1" [1] DIPs.

I think the idea of a DIP is to get people to create a more formal
proposal forcing them to give some extra thought.