Adam Ruppe donates Windows cycles to dmd/phobos

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Jul 11 23:48:26 PDT 2009

I wanted to thank Adam Ruppe for kindly donating a ssh-accessible
Windows machine for testing Phobos on Windows. After a fight with
various '/' vs. '\' and other issues, I finally got the build and
unittest process automated. Thanks, Adam!

Andrei

P.S. A few details for those interested in getting similar setups
working - Phobos' makefile, although it runs on a Linux machine,
connects to Windows via ssh for each compilation by running "ssh
machinename dmd ..." instead of "dmd ...". The socket is reused such
that only the first connection negotiates the keys (a fairly recent ssh
feature, see e.g.
http://www.tipcache.com/tip/Reuse_an_existing_ssh_connection_9.html),
and the mapping of remote directories to local directories is done by
using fuse (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html).

P.P.S. If anyone could offer ssh access to other systems aside from
Windows and Ubuntu (namely, other Linux distros and OSX) that would be
great - let Walter or me know. The account should only be able to run
dmd and won't be heavily used.