Oh Dear

Michiel Helvensteijn m.helvensteijn.remove at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:11:24 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:

> I'd like to emphasize that the code generator has been in
> use for 25 years for several hundred thousand users, and it is
> incredibly unlikely that nobody would notice if it is getting basic
> integer arithmetic wrong.

I didn't think the compiler would be wrong. I was just replying to your
statement that D does what x86 DIV does (you didn't mention IDIV; hence my
initial confusion).

> If you'd like to write up a formal definition
> that can be inserted into the D specification, that would be great.

I've given an unambiguous description of D division and modulus in another
subthread here. I've also updated issue 3165 with the information. You can
use that.

--
Michiel Helvensteijn