Developing a plan for D2.0: Getting everything on the table

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 14 03:15:19 PDT 2009

Don:
>Let's get everything on the table.<

Thank you for this thread, Don, recently I too have tried to start something like it :-)

> - Multithreading (I): Will Bartosz's proposal be accepted (in some form)?
> - Multithreading (II): Will some form of message parsing be included?
> - Operator overloading. "completely redone" (?)
> - opImplicitCast
> - is T[new] still going to happen?
> - Phobos I/O -- Andrei has stated that he wants to completely rewrite it.
> - Unimplemented features -- safe D, contract inheritance.
> - Andrei once said that he wants to get rid of new (!)
> - The Tango license issue needs to be sorted to the extent that Andrei
> and Walter feel they can safely look at the Tango code; OR we can decide
> that's not going to happen, and change the strategy for the Tango/Phobos
> relationship.

Some other things that may be necessary for D2:
- making D2 fitter for the LLVM back-end;
- fixing and improving the import semantics;
- separating arrays and slices?
- removing "Substitution failure is not an error"?
- maybe built-in rectangular arrays? Or a more flexible operator overload syntax to implement them.
- maybe improving the data parallelism features.

Bye,
bearophile