Developing a plan for D2.0: Getting everything on the table

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue Jul 14 07:01:27 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> - making D2 fitter for the LLVM back-end;

I've noticed you keep mentioning this. What exactly is it you mean by
this? If you mean allowing the dmd front end to be identical in both dmd
and ldc, I don't think that will ever happen (although getting it close
should be possible). Putting together a patch to submit for dmd is on my
to-do list for ldc2, I figured I'd wait for ldc2 to be in a more stable
state before doing this though... No point submitting the patch when
there's a nice chance it's going to change a lot as the (rather large)
number of ICEs on valid D2 code drops (About 80% of Phobos2 causes an
ICE currently. The rest compiles, but I doubt the code functions
correctly, I didn't bother testing!).

That said, merging newer frontends in the mean time would be a lot
simpler if I put together a basic patch...